Really Awesome Coffee

Sunday 26 May 2013

An Unexpected Journey, maybe



Slow week on the training front. Mostly due to the ongoing calf issue plus a bad case of motivation deficiency.
 
The latter being brought on by circumstances surrounding my employment I think. I'm currently at redundancy risk so put out some feelers out a while back to see what other employment was about. On my return from The Slateman triathlon in Wales I had an email from my cousin Rob, about a potential job on the ship he is chief officer, in the Persian Gulf. "Could i send him my CV asap as they need someone quick?"
 
After my initial panic about leaving the comfort zone & my 12 year office job i determined this was a fantastic opportunity (even though i could lose out on a decent redundancy payment). This would get me travelling the world again, warmer climates, back at sea & in a diving environment (although commercial as opposed to recreational this time) & fantastic money.
 
Discussed it with the family, who despite the initial 6 weeks away concern, after talking it through, the 6 weeks at home would be a bonus & more than make up for the 6 away. So, CV was emailed to Rob, which received a 'he looks good to me mate, he'll piss it'' response from the boss, it was forwarded to the head office & it's now a case of watch this space.
Why is this relevant to my Fatman to Ironman campaign?
 
If I'm successful in getting the role it would probably mean my Ironman UK entry will be cancelled this year, as my first 6 week trip would more than likely run over the event date. Would be gutted about it but there would always be another Ironman whereas fantastic job opportunities are a lot rarer. As for training on the ship. There is a gymnasium on board & I can do my runs round the helideck.
 
This has now set my focus on where i want to go now so if anyone knows of other offshore opportunities give me a shout please.






 
Training
 
Calorie burn January = 29,160
Calorie burn February = 34,932
Calorie burn for March = 47,799
Calorie burn for April = 28,453
Calorie burn for May = 21,484
 
Training Hours - 6 hours 58 minutes (not good) It is getting a bit demoralising not having my
training hours at least in double figures by now. 

Wednesday
 
Open water Swim  - 45 minutes
 
13 degrees down the lake tonight but nice and flat. Increased my distance to 1600m tonight.
Bike - 48 minutes
 
Saturday
 
Bike 3 hours 58 minutes + Run 11 minutes
 
Enjoyable ride around North Norfolk. Was a little bit windy on the way out but not overly bad. Funny how the head winds are always stronger than the tailwinds though! Didn't get off the bike for any of the ride which is probably the longest I've sat in the saddle without a break.
 
Did this as a little brick session. My calf was very painful, hence why i cut it short. Another trip to see the physio is on the cards.
 





Sunday

Bike  - 1 hour

Just a leisurely ride around Norwich

Bike - 16 minutes  - Went for a little ride with Arleya, get her used to road riding. Then did her bike/run brick down at our B&Q circuit. She is enjoying the road cycling. Said i would buy her a decent new racer if i get this new job.


Other

'The Grafman' - only 2 weeks till my Half Ironman & the running is a concern, even more so than when i wasn't injured. Thankfully there is an 8 week gap between this middle distance triathlon & the Ironman event. 8 weeks should then give enough time to be mended (famous last words)

Looking forward to meeting up with my Iron wing man, Tim at The Grafman. We are both also popping our cherries at Ironman UK this year. Tim sent me a copy of his new book the other day.

One for all you Star Wars fans

"Dawn of the Jedi, Into the Void" - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Into-Void-Star-Wars-Dawn/dp/0345541936/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369596738&sr=8-1&keywords=into+the+void


Little message in the cover. I'll certainly need the force to get through the day
Few extra pics have surfaced from The Slateman

Pre race

Job done, Richard & me in front of the Norwich City college tents


Deep in thought

Legs receiving their reward
 cheers

Andy


 Follow me on Twitter @clearseaz

Donate to The Royal Anglian Benevolent fund
http://www.justgiving.com/Andy-Baxter1

The Cycling Norfolk Church Spotterhttp://thecyclingnorfolkchurchspotter.blogspot.co.uk/

The allotment Journey Bloghttp://allotmentjourney.blogspot.co.uk/

Join the Facebook Group - The Ironman Journeyhttps://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/287319678021088/

Say hello on the Fatman to Ironman forumhttp://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=&UTN=191464&last=1&V=1&SP=

No comments:

Post a Comment